Families, arts appreciators and music enthusiasts will be among the many who enjoy the sanctuary of Marie Selby Botanical Gardens this spring during seasonal events and exhibitions. The community events are open to the public and are suitable for a variety of ages. Featured events include:
- Family & Holiday
- Easter Brunch, 9:30 and 11:30 a.m., Sun., March 27. Families come together at the Gardens for an Easter Brunch that includes a visit from the Easter Bunny at 10:30 a.m. Also, more than 2,000 eggs filled with trinkets and toys will be hidden throughout he Gardens for guests to discover at their leisure throughout the day. $50 Members, $75 Guests; $25 Children ages 4-11; children under 3 free.
- Mother’s Day Brunch, Four seatings at 9:30 a.m., 11 a.m., 12:30 p.m. and 2 p.m., Sun., May 8. Mothers, grandmothers and admired women are treated to a beautiful bayside brunch at Selby Gardens fit for the entire family. $50 Members, $75 Guests; $25 Children ages 4-11; children under
- Performing Arts:
- Springtime Garden Music Series, Sundays, April 3 – May 8. International and local musicians perform on The Great Lawn under the Banyan trees on Sunday afternoons. The concerts are held from 1 -3 p.m., Sundays, April 3 – May 8 and are appropriate for all ages. Refreshments, including beer and wine available for purchase. Admission to this show is included in regular admission $19 Adults, $6 Children, 4-11
- Visual Arts:
- Rainforest Masks of Costa Rica (March 11 – April 22). An all-new collection of the hand-carved and colorfully-painted masks by the Borucan Indians of Costa Rica will be on display at Selby Gardens in Payne Mansion’s Museum of Botany & the Arts. The mask carving began centuries ago when the Costa Rican natives needed a way to protect themselves against invading conquistadors. Using the wood from Balsa and Cedar trees abundant throughout the Central American country, the Borucans began carving ornate, menacing masks with malevolent spirits, known as Diablitos, to frighten the invaders.
- 36th Annual Juried Photographic Exhibition (Entry deadline April 25; Exhibition May 6 – June 25). The longstanding photo contest and exhibit is accepting entries through April 25 for this cash prize competition. As part of our yearlong 40th anniversary celebration, all entries for 2016 must have been taken at Selby Gardens. The exhibit opens in Payne Mansion’s Museum of Botany & the Arts with a reception Thurs., May 5. Photographs will be on display from May 6 to June 25.
Marie Selby Botanical Gardens is the only botanical garden in the world dedicated to the display and study of orchids, bromeliads, gesneriads, epiphytes and tropical plants with a focus on botany, horticulture and environmental education. Marie Selby Botanical Gardens, 900 S. Palm Ave., Sarasota, open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily except Christmas, regular admission $19 (ages 12 and up), ages 4-11 $6, Members and children 3 and under enter free. Contact us at (941) 366-5731 or selby.org. Get social with us on Facebook, Instagram and more by searching @selbygardens.